Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Andipatti

As I was sitting here enjoying some delicious "American Style Cream and Onion Flavour" Lay's potato chips and a "not hot" Pepsi (i.e., slightly cooler than room temp), I realized that I haven't posted an update in a day or two. Oops.  (As a side note, I'm fully aware that as a public health professional, I should not be eating such junk food.  However, I've decided to justify it with the fact that I've eaten almost a dozen hard boiled eggs in the last three days [no lie]!  I'm not complaining, though!  I just needed to mix things up!)

So, back to the scoop.

Yesterday, we had a second field trip to nearby villages Vanakkum and Andipatti, where we had the privilege of seeing another federally-run primary health center and an ICTPH-affiliated rural micro health center.  After enduring a long, bumpy ride to the villages, staff at both of these centers graciously gave us tours and spent time answering our questions.  (Quick shout out to Erin R. for some of the following pictures.)

As explained by Ramesh, "The road to Andipatti runs parallel to an irrigation aqueduct constructed by King Raja Raja I of the Chola Dynasty around 1000 years ago. It is still used to irrigate fields, which lie on the other side of the road."


View from the Andipatti back door.  Note the bore well that locals use to bathe.  
ICTPH clinic in Andipatti.  It was a gorgeous facility.

Nearby well that villagers use to gather water.  Unfortunately, I believe it only runs once per day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment