Thursday, July 14, 2011

Banana leaves, rotini, and elephant snot

[apparently I forgot to click publish when I wrote this... Oops. It's a few days old]

Good morning folks!

I know it's been a few days since my last post, but since I've mostly been working on our final project and sleeping, I wanted to spare you the boring details of my recent days in Thanjavur!

However, this morning life got a little bit more interesting when Sonia convinced me to walk to nearby Hotel Victoria for breakfast. As we left the ICTPH/Sugha Vazvhu headquarters, we were instantly greeted by an adorable yellow puppy with a curly tail. Sonia and I decided that if we had a few more weeks time in Thanjavur, we probably would adopt him and name him Rotini, in honor of the curly tail. [Side note: there is a backstory to the pasta-related name. One of the dogs at our residency is named Ragu, who happens to be a reddish orange color. Stephanie decided to name another house dog Alfredo, in honor of Americanized pasta sauces. Many of us TPSers greatly appreciate Alfredo and his protective nature, as he actually walks with a lot of the students who go to a nearby track early in the morning to run. Apparently he plays with other dogs at the park and barks at men who are at the track who come close to the girls while they're running. Pretty awesome.]

When we finally made it to Hotel Victoria, Sonia and I relished in dosas and chutneys for breakfast, each of which were served on a banana leaf!  All of this for only Rus. 15 (i.e., less than 50 cents).

Then, on the walk back to the office, we heard some jingling and realized there was a man riding an ornately-decorated elephant turning the corner onto our street. My class members came out and we fed him some bananas and gave some coins in order to get blessed by the elephant. Pretty great way to start the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment