Thursday, June 2, 2011

So, what am I actually doing in India?

I just realized that I never actually explained why I'm living in India for the summer. Basically, as part of my master's program at Washington University in St. Louis, I decided to take a course entitled "Transdisciplinary Problem Solving: Implementing Public Health Interventions in Developing Countries." As the title of the class suggests, we are working with a local organization (ICTPH, mentioned in an earlier post) to develop public health interventions that can be implemented in rural communities that ICTPH works with. Our class is responsible for developing feasible and sustainable interventions for five different areas of health: heart health, gastrointestinal health, maternal and child health, oral health, and cancer.  For those of you who know me, I'm sure you it will take you only one guess to figure out which of those areas I'm lucky enough to work on... I literally could not be more excited to be devoting my summer to addressing gastrointestinal health and water sanitation issues, as I'm currently planning on devoting my career to infectious diseases and tropical medicine.

Anyway, this summer, I'm going to be joining my classmates and ICTPH employees for tours of primary health care centers, assessing the current status of gastrointestinal distress on rural communities, and developing an intervention to improve this health concern.  All-in-all, I'm pretty pumped for such a fun experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment