Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Thanjavur!

After a long, sleepless (for me, anyway) night on the train, we've arrived in Thanjavur!!  The train ride was certainly an interesting experience, as we were warned to use our own sheets and wrap up in a cocoon to avoid the roaches.  I was probably overly freaked out about this type of roach because I've been hearing horror stories about the little roaches that climb into your ears and get stuck...  Luckily, nothing like this happened on the train (though I did spot a few crawling around on the floor).

Although I've barely been in Thanjavur for 12 hours, I can tell I'm going to like it!  It's much less hectic here, as only 250,000 Indians call this place home (in comparison to more than 6.5 million in Chennai).  There is a lot of vegetation and many, many cows wandering the streets.

ICTPH Building (where we'll have class)

Fruit stand at City Center

View from our balcony

View from our balcony

COW!  One of the many that roam the street outside our dormitory.

Our new apartment

Our room Part 2 - so colorful

After a quick nap at the new digs (because we got back to the new place before 8 AM), we met at ICTPH's building for lunch and to get a tour of where we'll have class.  Some of the group then decided to explore the City Center, where we picked up some fresh fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment